Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day Thoughts

Fathers Day is upon us and I want to take a moment and share a few thoughts about my own father, family, my upbringing and what I've learned as a father. Just about any healthy guy can become a father, however it's the special person that gets to be called Daddy. 

Family dynamics have changed so much since I was a kid in the 1960's, but here's the conclusion I'm coming to, and it's just my take on what my mom & dad did for us (and there were 7 children in my family!). 

Although there doesn't appear to be an 'owners manual' with instructions for being a good father, but there are indeed some rules.

How you get there is what makes you a Dad. 

These are the basic four, in no particular order. A good father provides the following: 

1. A Safe & Warm Environment: a home, adequately cooled, heated, and secured. A room (even if shared with someone) that we could call our own and feel safe. 

2. A Comfortable and healthy environment: one where we all had plenty of healthy food to eat (even if that wasn't always our fist choice :-); good healthcare; good education and people encouraging us in our studies; recreational opportunities, as well as discipline and boundries clearly laid out and consistently enforced (although being the 5th child, I got away with plenty of shenanigans :-). 

3. Love and kindness: we didn't have a lot of money, but we also didn't know it. 

There was always plenty of love, support, and encouragement in my home - with much of it coming from my extended large Italian family. 





4. Stability: Regardless of what my parents were going through, we didn't know it - we all knew that at the end of the day, regardless of the drama, trouble, fighting, etc. we were going to be OK. And we were. 

My point here is I don't think it matters a whole lot WHO is providing the four things I mention above. What's important is that they are provided. Sadly, there are too many children living in situations that have one or more of these missing and THIS has a big effect on who and what these people become. 

Happy Fathers Day to all fathers who stuck it out and provided for your families. The hardest job you'll ever love! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, but keep it clean!