Saturday, December 3, 2016

A Special 'old school' Chicago Christmas Memory

"Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, (ring-a-ling) hear them ring (ting-a-ling)
Soon it will be Christmas day
City sidewalks, busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's a feeling of Christmas
Children laughing, people passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every street corner you hear"
Although I was born in Chicago, I actually grew up in a suburb just north of the city, Morton Grove. When I was a little boy in the early 1960's there was a very special treat that my brothers and sister occasionally received. I didn't get downtown very often, however my Grandpa Berrafato worked downtown as a barber at Marshall Fields on State Street. For me there was no more magical time of the year than Christmas, and there are few places as spectacular as the Magnificent Mile in Chicago dressed in it's finest holiday greenery.

Few cities in the United States have as rich an architectural history as Chicago, or as special. One of those spectacular buildings was built in 1907 on State Street. It was built by Marshall Field, and became known as the largest department store in the world at the time. The history of this building is legendary, however there are a couple of things that will always stand out to me in my memory.





First, the iconic clock that would stand guard on the corner of State Street and Washington. This would become the meeting place for people downtown, "Meet me under the Clock at Marshall Fields!".

Second, this store had the largest Tiffany glass ceiling in the world! This work of art covers 6,000 square feet and comprises 1.6 million pieces of iridescent glass.

The dome was designed by renowned artist Louis Tiffany (it's the largest Tiffany mosaic in existence) and was crafted by 50 artisans who worked atop scaffolds for over 18 months to complete the project.

Finally, there is (it's still there!) the Walnut Room, with it's stunning Circassian Walnut paneling (installed over 100 years ago) and it's extraordinary Austrian chandeliers. This was the first restaurant in a department store and is also the longest continuously-operating restaurant in the nation. It opened in 1907 as the South Tea Room and in 1937 became known as the Walnut Room. Each year, a 45 foot tall tree, known as the Great Tree, adorns the restaurant from late November to early January and sets the space aglow with 15,000 lights and over 1,200 themed ornaments. Magnificent to behold!



Walnut Room




This is where my story begins. Because I had so many siblings (there is seven of us!), Grandma had to take us out in small groups. The tradition was, each year she'd take some of us downtown to visit Grandpa at work, then we'd all go to the Walnut Room for lunch. Some of us got Christmas, as others got Easter. For me, it was Christmas that captured my imagination.

We'd take the train in the morning to the Loop, and 'window shop' for a bit. Then we'd visit Grandpa at his hair studio. After meeting his colleagues, he'd take us to the Walnut Room for lunch.

Afterward we'd walk him back to work, then it was off to the Toy Department where Grandma would buy us each a toy! We'd then get on the train and head home. What a spectacular day! I'd look forward to this all fall!

Imagine my delight when my Aunt Elaine was able to bring my daughter Tess and her boyfriend Brian downtown this weekend to see the famed Walnut Room! It made me tear up with this wonderful memory!



What is your special holiday memory?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, but keep it clean!