Monday, November 27, 2017

Meeting of the Spirits - Mahavishnu McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring Tear It Up!


"...There exists in the East a legand which relates that God made a statue of clay in His own image, and asked the soul to enter into it. But the soul refused to enter into this prison, for it's nature is to fly about freely, and not be limited and bound to any sort of captivity. The soul did not wish in the least to enter this prison. Then God asked the angels to play their music and, as the angels played, the soul was moved to ecstacy. Through that ecstacy - in order to make this music more clear to itself - it entered this body.

From Hazrat Inayat Khan's 'The Mysticism of Sound and Music'  

Last Wednesday I had the extreme pleasure of seeing two of my guitar hero's share the same stage. The event was called, 'Meeting Of The Spirits: John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring recreate the tunes of the Mahavishnu Orchestra'. This may have been one of if not the very best concert I can recall seeing and hearing in my 57 years on this planet. This is a big statement and some of my good musical friends wouldn't let me say this without some proof. So I decided to write a brief review. Not about the actual tunes played, but what made this performance so special. 

The format had Jimmy Herring and his band, The Invisible Whip open the show with a set of their music. Then, John McLaughlin and his band, The 4th Dimension came out a did a full set of their music. The third set would then combine both bands and they would play tunes from the two classic Mahavishnu Orchestra albums, Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of a Fire. 

I have Three things that made this performance stand out as maybe one of the best shows I've ever seen and heard. Here they are in no particular order:

1. Musicianship - first and foremost, this one is a given, however in this situation it's probably the difference you might find between a $20 bottle of Pinot Noir and and a $300 one. Most people can not really tell the difference unless you are a wine connoisseur or in this case, a musical one. Mahavishnu could have selected any musician (guitarist) on the face of the planet - and he chose Jimmy Herring! One of the few guitarists that has the technical capability to play at the level of Mahavishnu was only the beginning. He also is able to honor the music and more importantly, develop solos that have something to add. Jimmy always has something to say, and that's saying something!

Maybe the 'Most Valuable Player' award goes to Jason Crosby (David Crosby's son) for the incredible work he did recreating the impossible violin solo's of Jerry Goodman. Also, his piano skills are out fu*king-standing!

Then there is Etienne MBappe on bass. I know great electric bass players, from Phil Lesh, to Jaco Pastorius, to Jack Cassidy to Stanley Clarke. This man played some of the craziest, but also lyrical, and warm solos that just stole my heart. His ability to channel his experience, life and soul through his bass was transformational. He captured the essence of what Mahavishnu was recreating from a time that caught 'lightning in a bottle'.

I have to give a special 'shout out' to Apt. Q258 - Jeff Sipe. This man may be the single best drummer I've ever had the pleasure of seeing and meeting! As Carlos Santana once said about Narada Michael Walden, I'll steal this and apply it to Jeff Sipe: Jeff "Is a 'Ballerina among drummers'. and he IS!

2. Historical Significance - I'll be the first one to admit that I know I'm late to this party, but like I like to say about myself: I'm a slow learner, but I CAN be taught. The importance of John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra to jazz fusion and contemporary jazz and world music is second to none. If you've never listened to Inner Mounting Flame or Birds of Fire, shame on you. If you don't know Shakti and any of their records, then you should by all means run (don't walk) and get one (if not all of them). You'll never listen to music the same way - ever again.

3. Live Music - The format was: Jimmy Herring and the Invisible Whip do the first set. Then Mahavishnu and the 4th Dimension do the second set. Finally the two bands do a 3rd set together. This is where the magic happened! They played some of the Mahavishnu Orchestra's most iconic and influential tunes. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know them well enough to able to list them out, but I'll say this: Mahavishnu played in spirit and vitality of what they were doing some 46 + years ago. 


As I've become familiar with this music, I'm in awe with what they created and now, what these musicians recreated.

What they did was akin to catching 'lightning in a bottle', and they did it with authenticity, creativity and aplomb. And My man Jimmy Herring was so in the pocket I cried. Numerous times.


I cried. Tears of ecstasy and joy.

1 comment:

  1. The night I FINALLY understood what and who Mahavishnu McLaughlin is. It changed my life.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, but keep it clean!