Saturday, November 26, 2011

Today I launch my Blog.  I'm calling it, The Other Side Of This Life.  Why?  Because I am.  Regardless of how much time I may have left on this planet, I'm on the other side of 50.  I find myself looking back as often as forward.  Nostalgic? Sometimes. But mostly I find that this is the best way to orient oneself in the present. I'm reminded of the popular Chinese proverb / curse, "May you live in interesting times".  Indeed we do.  However, I don't know that it is any less 'interesting' than the decades of my youth, the turbulent and crazy 1960's and 1970's.  Just different, I guess.

My goal in writing this occasional Blog is simple:  I want to share my observations, experiences, opinions, and thoughts with anyone who may take notice.  I've been thinking long and hard about what my legacy on this planet will be.  I don't think I'm anywhere near finished, but I am coming to some conclusions.  The first, and most important one is that I'm beginning to regularly question just about everything I once thought I knew.  The second one is that I truly believe that it matters what you say and do to the people around you - strangers as well as loved ones.  Thirdly, I want my children to know, I mean really know what I think about things that matter.  

You'll find two themes that will run through just about everything I write.  The first is the concept of sustainability.  Not necessarily in the environmental sense of the often overused buzz word, but rather the very real benefits one reaps from employing and harnessing the true and oft hidden power of putting it to work for you.  Secondly, music.  That may sound a bit odd - music as a theme?  The great soul singer turned preacher, Al Green once said, "There are two kinds of people when it comes to music.  Those who have music as the background to their lives; and those who have music as the soundtrack to their lives.  I have always been the latter."  This describes me pretty well and if you read anything I write, this will come through, I'm certain.

I really don't know who, if anyone will actually read anything I write.  I do have one rule which I will absolutely adhere to as well as enforce.  That being civility and respect at all times.  I'm not particularly interested in finding only readers who agree with me, but rather those who want to share their own experiences, thoughts and ideas as they relate to what I have written.

I like to tell my children that when everyone agrees with you, nobody learns anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, but keep it clean!